Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cold feet

This past Saturday I spent the day with an friend who was visiting from Quebec. We went for tasty Korean lunch at SAN, coffee and giant cookie at Le Gourmand and dress shopping at H&M. We saw the frigid sites of Queen west and then finished the day off with an experimental Australian theatre experience at the Eaton centre and then supper in Chinatown. During our wandering we stopped into Type- a book store where I have never been (due in part to the fact that I thought it was a "fancy stationary and thank you note" store as opposed to literature) and I picked up a book I have been eyeing for several months:




Reviews have been mixed for the book. There is the "this book is awesome, Viva la revolution" side and the "OMG thats so ugly, I'd never knit that, why did I waste my money on this book" crowd. The book examines the link between craft and art; form verses fuction, and the artists who have bridged this gap... and anyone who buys this book just for the patterns is missing the point because really, who has the space for a 2 ton teddy bear made of fiberglass. Personally I don't think my floors could hold it.

Knitknit does have interesting bios of knitting designers/artists and giant teddy bear aside, it does have some make-able patterns, some of which I may consider trying myself at some point. But really, I'm hoping the book will inspire me to get off my giant can and get my "art" on. SRSLY. I'm going to do it, as soon as my laundry is done.


A link to the Knitknit website



In other news, I'm worried about She-ra. I think I saw her with about 4 or 5 inches of yarn in her mouth (before I shouted at her and she ran out of the room) and I'm worried she ate it and it is doing horrible things to her digestive track. She seems ok though, she is just napping and grooming and grooming and napping. Plus it was most likely Patons Kroy and so is probably not that strong. EDIT: She seems to be fine, perhaps I was panicking for nothing.


socks.



I bought this yarn at the grand opening/re-opening of Alterknit (now called In the Loop Cafe). I had a lovely time and it was packed with Knittas and their ilk. Wine and yarn are a few of my favorite things, however, of the two I am currently only allowed to buy wine since I really am on a yarn diet now. Really. Knit from the stash, that's my plan. Especially since I bought 2 balls of Cascade fixation-effects in 9939 varigated murk colourway at Lettuce Knit on Thursday, with the intention of knitting another pair of Broadripples... if I ever finish the first pair.

Speaking of Broadripples. They (well it, I haven't started the second sock yet) are coming along pretty quickly considering I usually just knit them on the TTC.



I wonder if I should make it taller, I definately have enough yarn...



I think she's fine

Yes, people (which people you ask? well there are people... myself, my mother and a woman called Alice, to name but 3) are amazed I have taken to sock knitting with such vigour. There are many reasons for this.

1. I'm not very good at the ol' sock knitting and wish to improve and it will help me work on my terrible tension. (in every sense of the word)

2. Socks are fairly quick to knit and finishing things make me feel better about myself. I like having new things but I'm feeling a bit scattered at the moment, my work and personal life are kind of ass-y and my not finishing the 2 sweaters I've got languishing make me feel like a big fat failure, but by the same token I don't really have the focus right now to undertake such large...undertakings without disasterous results.

3. Portability, I spend a lot of time on the TTC... alot. Too much really. I like to use my time wisely.

4. Price. One doesn't need that much yarn to make a thing.

5. My feet are cold.


Speaking of socks.

Bellatrix knee socks... they are getting there. I decided to do the heel and toe in navy blue. they look a bit funny in the photo but better on the feet.



Please forgive the foreshortening and strange calf action.



Ditto.




I'm about an inch and a half away from the toe on the second sock. Wheeee!. Although it will probably be months before I can wear them outside, also they do make my shoes a little tight, but I'm blaming that in part on my swollen winter feet. So first a little foot binding and wait for the snow to melt and then... the socks can hit the great outdoors in all their glory

1 Comments:

At January 30, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

It's good you didn't listen to me... your socks look great! And Zanzibar McFluffy pants is so cute. I think she wants the socks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home