Sunday, January 10, 2010

Start something Sunday

I have been procrastinating. It’s been months since I have returned back from my glorious UK adventure and I just can’t get those blog posts done. Well perhaps in the new year, cause I still have a lot of kicking pictures to post. But speaking of posting- I will post a pattern that I have been working on for a while. I gave myself a goal a few months ago that I would design and post a new pattern every month and do it in PDF. That is totally not going to happen, so now I am working on 1 every 2 months or so.... and PDF is pending.

for now I present my "pull up your bootstraps and climb out of that rut pattern" #1

as modelled by everyone's favorite vintage cosmetology head: Carrie Nation.


Start something Sunday beret





materials needed

5mm circ needles. (I used a 40” cord and did magic loop/ but 20” cord would work fine as well).

Cable needle or DPN.

approx 230 yds of worsted weight yarn- use bulkier yarn for a slouchier beret.

*Purple hat uses 1.5 skeins of Naturally Sensation yarn

**Multi hat uses 1.5 skeins Patons SWS yarn


Gauge not crucial- but I got 18 sts = 4" for ribbing and 22sts = 4" for cable pattern for the purple hat


CO 96 sts. Join for working in the round. Place marker at beginning of round.

K 8 rows in 1x1 rib (purple beret shows twisted rib K1tbl, p1/ multi beret shows K1P1 rib)

Knit 1 row

on next row Inc 1, k1, inc 1, k1 then increase every 3 sts until last 4 sts, inc 1, k1, inc1, k1, inc 1 k1, inc 1 k1- should have 132 sts total


Rows 1& 2 - Knit

Row 3. *K2, C4B

Rows 4 & 5- Knit

Row 6- *C4F, K2

Row 7- Knit


Continue these 7 rows until piece measures 8"


Row 1- K2, *s2K1psso, k3, c4b

Row 2- Knit

Row 3- *K1, s2k1psso, k2, s2k1psso, k1

Row 4- Knit

Row 5 *s2k1,psso

Row 6- knit

Row 7- *s1k1psso

Row 8- knit


cut yarn and pull through remaining stitches.




Key


C4B- slip 2 sts on cable needle, place behind work, knit next 2 sts, k sts off cable needle

C4F slip 2 sts on cable needle, place in front of work, knit next 2 sts, k sts off cable needle

S2k1psso- slip 2 sts knitwise, knit one, pass slipped stitches over knit stitch

S1k1psso - slip 1 sts knitwise, knit 1, pass slipped st over knit sts


















2 Comments:

At January 12, 2010, Blogger Celeritas said...

Wow, this beret is hot! Perhaps a good place for me to try cabling for the first time.

 
At May 11, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your hat and the yarn you picked. Thanks for sharing your pattern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home