Monday, March 19, 2007

cheating on my diet

So I cheated on my yarn diet. It started with this.



one sad little skein of Mission Falls colour 026 (aka Zinnea) in a completely different dye lot from what I needed. However, I was filled with the fear of running out of yarn and the sweater is just too damn busy to do the sleeves in a different colour. I'd already checked at Alterknits, Romni, Lettuce Knit and the Knit Cafe and although 2 of the stores had Mission Falls, they didn't have it in zinnea. So I when I found this at the Naked Sheep, I bought it out of desperation, thinking that at least I could use it to do sleeve cuffs or a facing for the front. Truthfully though, if the original yarn I bought had been in this particular dyelot, I wouldn't have bought it.



The next day, I went to Knitomatic and found 4 skeins in the dyelot I needed, so I bought it all and felt stupid for not heading there first. I am telling myself that it is not cheating if I need the yarn to finish a project that I've already started.

I am now fairly confident that I have more than enough. I am a third of the way into the sleeves and still have this left over (plus the sad little skein of a different dyelot.) which will be more than enough for the hood. So perhaps I overbought, but hopefully I'll find another use for what ever is left over. Truth be told though- I hate knitting with this yarn. It really hurts my hands for some reason. (the superwash-edness I suppose). Perhaps it will be better for crochet, or machine knitting.



Speaking of cheating on the yarn diet, I also bought some Van Dyck yarn to make some more of those cabled wristwarmers for someone, although really it's not cheating if the yarn is purchased to make a gift... right? Sadly, I very quickly realized that the yarn was way too bulky for wristwarmers and therefore, needed to be made into a floppy hat on the Knifty knitter.




*here it is seen on Carrie Nation. Altough truthfully it's for me, so I guess that is cheating but it was accidental cheating, cheating without intent. Plus the yarn was on sale. Plus I knit it up the next day, so it's not like it was sitting around for very long.




On wednesday I checked out Passionknit for the first time ever, before hitting wednesday night SnB. I bought some cheap-ish yarn Sirdar: Click to make those armwarmers out of. I started the first one and have been carrying it around with me for over a week without working on them because I've decided that I don't want to make wristwarmers for this person. In fact I even broke one of my casein 3.75mm dpns. I think it's a sign.



Inspired by Sophie, I started on a pair of Dragon scale gauntlets for my sister's birthday. There is no way I will get them finished and in the mail in time for her birthday (next monday) but perhaps one day... maybe christmas. I'm hoping she will ike them because she likes dragons and she has arms. I am using the Lang; Mille Colori that I won in the last TTC knitalong.

and finally because I am wicked, and more importantly, because I was feeling virtuous for using up things in my stash, I went to Romni (actually for 4mm dpns which they didn't have and for some yarn to use to design legwarmers)
and I bought this



2 skeins of Fleece Artist;country wool for 11$ a hank. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it but I felt I had to buy it, since it's probably the only time I'll actually be able to afford Fleece Artist. But I'm not going to try to make excuses. This was cheating of the worst kind. I bought yarn because it was pretty, even though I have no clue what to do with it.

2 Comments:

At March 23, 2007, Blogger Sophia said...

Everything in moderation. This is diet-cheating that I shamelessly support! Heehaaaarrrrr!

 
At March 30, 2007, Blogger Yvette said...

I seriously have fallen in love with your head model. Wherever did you find her? I'm flashing back to circa 1973 and a head named Nicole - my sister and i putting stickers on her cheeks and doing groovy things with her hair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home